|About the Artist:
While studying architecture in the 80's in my hometown, Lima, I got a job as a journalist for a local newspaper. Many of the articles had to be documented with photographs, this made me take a camera and start to do my first pictures.
Having the necessity to learn and experiment further more I decided to move to Europe landing first in London. Soon after, I got published my first fashion spread in ID magazine. Always following my curiosity, I explored since many sides of this profession: from fashion and portraiture to photojournalism, covering subjects such as the Kosovo War. In the meantime, I lived in different cities, Barcelona, Madrid and Paris to finally settle back in London in 2004.
In 2006 I started to work with art director David Tortora and by 2009 we created Jeff orGina, a series of both, art and commercial projects where the use of image manipulation covers an integral part in the creative process. We like to define our work as antiminimal, visually rich, realistic but categorically non real.
In 2013, after two years work, I've presented 'Proyecto Mírame, Lima', a series of 50 family portraits aiming to reflect the cultural, ethnical, religious diversities present within the peruvian capital. Using a language that lies between photojournalism and creative portraiture, the project has represented a new direction in my professional journey, opening a new set of possibilities and giving me many satisfactions. Mirame Lima, it's a collaborative project with Morgana Vargas Llosa and David Tortora.
In 2014 I've deepen my research in photography as an art form working with architectural collages, nudes and light movement. At the same time my first experiments with motion photography got selected to be exhibited at Saatchi Gallery and La Gaîte Lyrique of Paris.
At the moment I'm with David in the middle of a new project but I think is too early to talk about it.
• Winner of the 2016 Fine Art Photo Awards (FAPA)
• Winner of the 2015 International Photography Awards (IPA), Food Advertising
• Winner of the 2015 PDN Photo Annual, Personal Category
• Photographer of the Year nominee at the Lucie Awards 2014.
• Advertising Photographer of the Year at the 2014 (IPA) International Photography Awards
• Winner of the 2014 PDN Photo Annual, Advertising Category
• Gold medal at Prix de la Photographie, Paris 2014 (PX3), Fine Arts Category
• Winner of the 2014 ND Awards, Fashion Category
• Work selected for exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery of London as part of the 2014 Saatchi Motion Photography Prize
• The series of Motion Photographs, 'A Man Today', selected for exhibition as part of the 2014 La Gaîté Lyrique GIF Awards at La Gaîté Lyrique, Paris.
• Official Selection at the 2014 Kontinent Awards
• Winner of the 2013 American Aperture Awards (American Photography Awards), Advertising Category
• Winner of the 2013 PDN Photo Annual, Personal Category
• Work selected for exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery of London as part of the 2013 Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
• 2013 TZ Photographer Of The Year, Abstract Category
• Work selected for exhibition in Brooklyn Bridge Park, NY, as part of The Fence 2013
• Winner of the 2012 See Me Awards for Photography
• Work selected for exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery of London as part of the 2012 Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
• 2012 TZ Photographer Of The Year, Portrait Category
• Photographer Of The Year 2012, Studio, Fashion and Beauty categories by Professional Photographer magazine (UK).
• The book "Cocinas de Familia" was qualified for the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2012 in the category "Best Photography Book"
• Highly Commended Award Winner at the 2006 The Guardian Photography Prize, Photojournalism